~Sleep is the Best Cure~ A Diary of a Med Student

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dorm Life

My dorm was finalised today. I was rather afraid that they'd change their mind after all and stick me in this place across the town, but luckily I'm in a place two minutes away from campus. The area isn't... exactly safe, but it's not like I'm in White Chapel where there were murders recently, so I'm not too worried. The bank is close by, and the Borough Market and other supermarkets are within walking distance. The underground is facing the back of the school. It's a compact place, really.

An English boy of Chinese decent is going to the same dorm as me. Since we're pretty friendly to each other and he takes same classes as me, I'm pretty thankful.

I'm coming home for Christmas. I'm pretty happy about that. Just like the Japanese go home for New Year's, it's kind of miserable to spend the Christmas alone. My friend is coming back for Christmas as well, sit it might turn out to be a pretty happy homecoming.

I have three friend(lies) at the uni now. One is the same person as the one sharing my accommodation. He moved to the US in sixth year. His parents are from UL as well, so his history is very similar to mine. Additionally, he plays the violin, just like me.

Another person is in the residence at Russell Square. She's from Thailand, and she told me she's studying Business. She's extremely friendly and always cheerful, so she's the opposite from the grouchy and not really friendly me. Her hobbies are shopping and cooking. For someone like me, who cooks because he/she wants to eat good food but can't get it readily, or for someone (like me) who goes shopping because it's necessary, she's a completely different type. I think she thinks I'm interesting.

The last one (but not the least) used to live in Cambridge. She's a British. She's studying music (specifically piano) at Kings. She has short hair, and there is no doubt from her appearance that she's a British. She's in the same residence as the Thai girl. She was my first acquaintance at KCL.

I'm leaving in about twenty days, but I can't really believe it's true. Since it's me, I can just see myself packing three days before the day I leave. I can't really believe I'm going to be living alone either. Well, since it's a dorm, it's different from living in an apartment alone, I think.

I finally bought the Return of the King movie. Since I didn't think the last couple of scenes weren't well made, I decided to buy it when the price got lower... and two years passed before I actually got around to buying it. I watched it last night, but since I was reading 'The Elladan Show' right before then I couldn't stop laughing. The Middle-Earth depicted in the fanfiction isn't the beautiful, romantic Middle Earth, but it's a land where cars are running and cell phones are jingling and there is an unstated rule that you must never eat in Uni cafeterias if you don't want to risk mystery food. Basically, the Earth with Middle Earth geography. His father, Elrond, is the Prime Minister of Rivendell, and Elladan is a senior at Grey Havens University. He thinks he's the only one with common sense, but just like his family and his acquaintances, he lacks what he thinks he possesses. His twin brother (Elrohir) is a kind of an elf who just grew up while keeping a mind of a three-year old, and his sister Arwen was on the volleyball team in high school and married Aragorn right after graduating high school. There was no sense of solemnity or mystery.

But apart from the setting, the events in Lord of the Rings is very well depicted, so it adds even more to the humor. The things Elladan is worrying about is extremely trivial; each character is very well created and that adds more to the laughter.

Apparently most of my high school classmates leave either this week or the next. I guess my school starts extremely late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home